Note: This article is intended for users of older Vera products, especially those with Vera3 and VeraLite Home Controllers, who may still be running an earlier version of the Vera app.
UI7 is the name of the newest version of the Vera app. All new users purchasing any recent Vera Home Controller model, including the VeraSecure, VeraPlus and VeraEdge models, will automatically be running UI7. If you're in this category you're probably unaware that any earlier versions exist, and to you it's just "the Vera app." There's no need to read any further, this article doesn't apply to you.
If you DO have an older Vera Home Controller that's still running the previous version of the Vera app, which was called UI5, there are plenty of good reasons to update your controller's firmware now to the newest version. THIS UPGRADE IS COMPLETELY FREE, REGARDLESS OF WHEN OR WHERE YOU PURCHASED YOUR VERA CONTROLLER. The main advantages of UI7 compared to UI5 are:
- UI7 is frequently updated with bug fixes, improvements and security patches. (UI5 is no longer updated.)
- UI7 is much more secure, with a revised API that includes authentication tokens.
- UI7 supports many new devices that were brought on the market after 2012 (which was the last time we updated UI5.)
- UI7 includes convenient new features like House Modes - Home, Away, Night and Vacation. These provide an easy way to arm and disarm your security system and start using it easily the moment you have all the devices included (since there’s no requirement to manually create automatic scenes for security.) Plus, the House Modes can change automatically based on Geofencing (using your cell phone's location to control things automatically.)
- UI7 features Device Pairing Wizards for specific, popular devices such as Aeon sensors, VistaCam cameras, Schlage door locks, Nest thermostats, and many more. These make it much easier to add new devices to your Vera system, by providing step-by-step instructions for adding the supported devices.
- UI7 features a redesigned Scene creator, with a simple wizard-like interface. This makes setting up your automation scenarios as easy as 1-2-3.
- UI7 has a new Dashboard that neatly presents useful information when you first access your Vera system. You can quickly glance over recent events, check system status (whether the system is secure, or any device is malfunctioning), switch house modes, quickly control your lights or locks and see your favorite devices, such as cameras.
Footnote: What Happened to UI6?
In developing new versions of the Vera app, we have from time to time created alpha and beta versions of the user interface (UI) that were never released to the public. That's what happened to UI6 -- it was never released. We felt that UI7 was so much stronger and better, and was so far along in its development that there was no point releasing UI6. So we jumped from UI5 to UI7. We hope you agree Vera UI7 is the most sophisticated, powerful, adaptable, compatible and easy to use home controller app anywhere.